Sustainability and social compliance in the production of COCOON products matter to us. We are aware of our responsibility as an outdoor company and always strive to improve the production process and to produce fair and sustainable products.
COCOON has been a member of the Business Social Compliance Initiative (amfori BSCI) since 2012.The organization monitors the social compliance of producers. In our factories audits are conducted on a regular basis to make sure that social standards and fair working conditions are guaranteed.
COCOON products are produced exclusively in small factories. On regular visits to these factories we not only check on the quality of our products but also on the working conditions in the factories. The long term partnerships with these factories are based on mutual trust and personal relationships. It is part of our philosophy to cultivate these partnerships and grow with our partners in order to develop extraordinary products and to bring about positive social change.
Sustainability has been important to us since the founding years of our company. We understand sustainability as a way of small steps. Every production process leaves traces on our planet. We are striving to keep these traces as small as possible. Already in the first productions of our cotton TravelSheets and MummyLiners in the year 1991 we abstained from using caustic soda or other brighteners. We have also always tried to reduce the use of chemical textile finishers to minimize the use of chemicals. In 2011 COCOON was the first company in this product sector to offer TravelSheets and MummyLiners made of GOTS certified organic cotton. Also in the development and production of other products we increasingly try to take sustainable paths. We use more and more recycled materials and our DWR for nylon and polyester fabrics has been PFC free for a long time now. All our down will be RDS certified in 2023 and all merino wool products will come with an RWS certificate.
Sustainable changes that have already been made:
- TravelSheets and MummyLiners made of 100% GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certified organic cotton
- 100% recycled CoolMax EcoMade and Thermolite EcoMade for all CoolMax and Thermolite products
- 100% recycled filling materials in all sleeping bags and hammock quilts
- PFC-free nylon and polyester fabrics
- certified fluor-carbon free hydrophopic down
- All inflatable Air-Core Pillows come with exchangable bladders. Should a bladder start to leak, it can easily be exchanged without having to dispose of the rest of the pillow.
- 100% recycable packaging material
- repair service
Measures planned for the near future:
- RDS (Responsible Down Standard) certified down (2023)
- RWS (Responsible Wool Standard) certified merino wool (2023)
- 100% recycled, GRS (Global Recycled Standard) certified polyester for all new COCOON Travel Organizers (2023)
- Introduction of the sustainable COCOON Eco Travel Towels made of 100% Eucalyptus trees. The closed loop Lyocell production process for this towel saves water and minimizes the use of chemicals. (2023)